I have been hearing about Stuff I Eat for years. I have many a vegan friend who claims Stuff I Eat is one of the best vegan restaurants they have been to, and vegan ex-blogger quarrygirl (RIP) put it on her “best vegan restaurants in LA” list two years in a row. Yesterday I finally tried this famous 100% vegan soul food restaurant and boy oh boy did it live up to the hype. When food is this good, it’s worth making the trip for.
Stuff I Eat114 N Market St
Inglewood, CA 90301
- Hours: Tue-Sat 12 pm – 8 pm, Sun 12 pm – 6 pm
- Located on a quiet street in Inglewood (super close to LAX), Stuff I Eat is a quiet neighborhood cafe that was pretty empty at 12:30 on a Wednesday. The decor is casual with a flair: huge funky art pieces adorn the yellow walls and a plush lounge area is nestled the back, creating a relaxed and inviting ambiance. It sort of feels like you are in your cool friends living room that just happens to have a huge cafeteria like open kitchen attached.
The staff is SO friendly and accommodating. They let me taste the mock-chicken salad (ummmm it’s absolutely incredible), the carrot un-tuna salad (like nothing I have ever had – so freakin’ delicious I wanted to take some home) and the tofu/wild rice mix (winner, obviously). You guys know how much I love samples so I was already in heaven. After much deliberation, my mom and I decided two share to entrées, half of the soul food platter and half of the enchilada pie. We almost got a third entrée but I heard from friends that portions are HUGE so we decided to wait and see once our food came. (Spoiler: we DEF didn’t need a third entrée. Portions are HUGE!!!!)
Our meal came out pretty quickly and I literally gasped when I saw so much beautiful food arrive at our table. There was SO much food, bahhhhh!
Where to start with this …. let’s start with a OMG and an mmmmmmmmmm. Every single thing on the plate was fantastic. The yams have a cinnamon nutmeg kick and are whipped smooth and served piping hot. The bbq sauce on the tofu is the perfect mix of sweet and savory and the tofu has just the right amount of sauce. The cornbread muffin is fluffy and just a little sweet – just the way I like it. The kale collard greens were AMAZING and had a little vinegary kick that I loved. The black-eyed peas had a smoky flavor and I ended up drinking the broth – ’nuff said. The potato salad was excellent and I wish there was more – that says a lot considering I hate potato salad and was fighting my mom for the last bite. And the mac and cheese – oh the mac and cheese! This was my favorite thing on the whole plate! No idea what they make their cheese sauce out of but sweet lord I want to bathe in it, I want to swim in it, I want to baptize my unborn children with it. Even though it wasn’t gluten-free I ate the entire thing (my mom hates mac n cheese wtf) and have been thinking about eating it non-stop since. 5 stars, must order OMG go here now.
The woman helping me at the counter kindly allowed me to taste the potato salad and coleslaw even though the dish comes with a choice of either or, and oh my gosh am I glad that she did. The coleslaw is, you guessed it, amazing. Some of the best I’ve had AND it’s purple!
The enchilada pie was incredible as well.
- The cheesy, melty, bowl of corn in every form all mixed up with a sweet tomato based sauce and Stuff I Eat’s mystery special sauce was pure indulgence. I loved this and mixed my bites with combo forkfuls of rice and beans to create the ultimate flavor-packed bite. The beans and rice were very mild which was a nice contrast to the more seasoned items on the soul food platter. The dressing on the salad was also super-duper good, like lick the fork good. Huge thumbs up.
- Despite the larger than life portions, somehow my mom and I managed to eat everything on our plates. Clearly it was a good idea we didn’t get a third entrée. Though we didn’t have room for dessert, Stuff I Eat has plenty of both regular and raw vegan options for those who do. Next time I am so getting the sweet potato pie!
- Can’t recommend Stuff I Eat highly enough. Excellent service, ridiculously amazing food and inventive and unique dishes, SIE doles up some of the best vegan food I have ever had in my life. Believe the hype, Stuff I Eat delivers.
- Your Vegan Girlfriend