Tonight I want to share with you an amazing holiday recipe I adapted from the pie class I took at The Natural Gourmet Institute I promised you all yesterday! This seasonal and festive holiday pie is an absolute perfect addition to any holiday spread you have planed this December (ahh it’s December!). Don’t worry, like all of my recipes this deceptively decadent pie is free of gluten and refined-sugar, some of the usual culprits found in most pie recipes. This Dutch Apple Cranberry Streusel Pie is so freakin good it’s scary, and I’m not even usually a big apple pie fan. Good thing your vegan girlfriend’s birthday, Christmas and Hanukkah are all in December; three perfectly good excuses to eat holiday inspired strussel pie like an absolute vegan pig and get away with it 🙂
Dutch Apple Cranberry Strussel Pie (yields 1 pie)
(adapted from a recipe by Rebecca Reilly)
1 recipe classic gluten-free pastry crust (recipe here) or pie crust of your choice
5 cups apples, cored and sliced (about 5 small) – Granny Smith work great
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 cup maple sugar or date sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
1 cup Hi Protein Blend (recipe here) or you could try another xanthan gum containing gf flour blend
1/2 cup maple sugar
1/4 teaspoon xantham gum
1/3 cup gluten-free oats
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Earth Balance buttery spread (preferably in stick form – 1 stick), chilled and cut into small pieces
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and set Earth Balance out so it will be at room temp.
2. Line a 9″ pie pan with unbaked crust.
3. Sprinkle the apples with the lemon juice.
4. Mix the maple sugar and cinnamon together.
5. Toss the apples and cranberries with the cinnamon-sugar and fill the pie shell with apple mixture.
6. To make the streusel topping, mix Hi Protein blend, maple sugar, xanthan gum, oats, cinnamon and salt together in a medium bowl.
7. Add butter, rub n with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. This can also be made ahead of time fyi.
8. Sprinkle streusel topping over pie.
9. Bake for 10 minutes then reduce oven temp to 350 degrees F and bake until crumb topping is browned and apples are soft, approximately another 50 minutes.
10. Cool on rack completely and enjoy!
Serve this unbelievably good pie with some So Delicious dairy free vanilla ice cream and call it a night!!!
Hope everyone enjoys this pie recipe as much as I do! Let me know what your favorite holiday desserts are and if you’d like to see my “vegan girlfriend-ize” any classic holiday recipe for the blog!!
Your Vegan Girlfriend